Having your headshot taken can seem stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are a few tips to help you (and your photographer) make you a great image that you will be proud of.
1. Hire a professional: Yes, this is a professional saying this, but if I could tell you how many times people have come to me after a bad experience from a friend saying, I just got a new camera, Ill do it for you. Professionals have experience, equipment and knowledge that your friend with an iPhone or a fancy new camera don’t have. Hire someone you click with, getting the right expression is key. Finding the right person for the job will leave you with a great headshot that you are proud of!
2. Plan: Consult with your photographer so they have a clear vision of what you are looking for, some things to consider, location, studio, office or outdoor. Lighting, do you want a bright airy feel or a more moody feel? Be clear with expectations on both sides, what you will receive, when and how much.
Here are a few examples:
Creative professional headshot
On location headshot
3. Dress the part: Have a a few great fitting outfits that you love and make you feel like a rockstar. People say dress for the job you want, this is there perfect time to do this. Don’t wear a suite to your session if you want to be a yoga teacher. Don’t wear your yoga outfit if you want to be a CEO of a suite company.
Women: If you can have your hair and make-up done by a professional it makes a big difference. If you prefer to do it yourself keep it simple and classy, this will help the image stand the test of time.
Men: A great haircut is key, Getting it done a few days before the shoot is a good idea so it doest have too much of the fresh cut look.
Clothing: Solid strong colors are a great thing for headshots, white can be great with a contrasting backdrop, but most of all do you feel great in it. Things to avoid, Super trendy outfits that with go out of style quickly, florscents as they can reflect on you skin tones and busy patterns. You are the star of this image, people want to see your face not be distracted by goddy jewelry or overdone make-up. Clothing should be clean and pressed, yes we can “photoshop that” but it’s always better to do it right the first time.
4. Prep: Drink lots of water in the day or two leading up to your headshot shoot. This can help your skin glow. Leave plenty of time to get to your shoot. You want to feel calm walking onto your session, it will make the whole session go better. Pick your clothing out in advance and have them ready to go.
5. Have fun: “But its not fun to have my picture taken.” I can’t tell you how many times I hear, I hate getting my photo taken. But its a bad circle, you don’t like your picture taken because you look bad in photos, you look bad in photos because you aren’t having fun getting your picture taken. I strive to get you feeling like yourself in front of the camera which makes for confident and approachable images that you are proud to put on your linkedin profile and website.
Having a great headshot can be an asset to your career. Your linkedin profile headshot should not be a picture that you cropped out your friend (and your beer) yes, we can tell! You can do better than that. We can do better than that.
I’ve had headshots done a few times over the last few years and I’ve always had one or two that I liked, but Laura with Kinser Studios blew me away. Not only was she super sweet and professional, but she provided me with a gallery of images that I LOVED! And not only that, she kept me feeling comfortable and relaxed for the entire shoot, so the experience as a whole was awesome. Thank you, Laura! -Rayna
We can help! Call 702-499-6222 to book your session today. Mark “updated headshot” off of your todo list today. firstname.lastname@example.orgClick here to schedule!
Our studios is in Draper but we can do on location anywhere in the greater Salt Lake City area.
Does your whole office need headshots? We can do a group rate and take care of all of you.